Green to Gold

Change your path. Then, lead the way.

If you join the Army as an enlisted Soldier and later want to commission as an Officer, the Green to Gold program can help you get there.

Two female Soldiers in combat uniform kneeling in a forest

Go from Soldier to Army Officer.

Green to Gold is a program designed for current active-duty enlisted Soldiers to earn a four-year bachelor’s degree or a master's degree and make the switch to the Officership path of the Army.

Earn a degree while you serve.

Although Green to Gold is a separate program you’ll need to qualify for, you can use the Army’s standard education benefits to help fulfill the necessary requirements.

Train as an ROTC cadet.

As part of the Green to Gold program, you’ll go through Reserve Officers’ Training Corps (ROTC), a leadership program through your school that provides unique training, practical experience, mentorship, and a sense of camaraderie.

Become an Army Officer.

Once you’ve earned your degree, completed ROTC, and met all other requirements, you’ll graduate as a commissioned Officer and leader in the U.S. Army.













Options for Green to Gold

Active-duty enlisted Soldiers have four options through the Green to Gold program to earn a degree while serving. Work with an ROTC recruiter to help determine which option is right for you.

Option 01

Green to Gold Scholarship

Get full tuition or room and board, flat-rate book payment, and a monthly stipend if you want to leave active duty to attend college. This scholarship can be used towards your first bachelor’s degree or first graduate degree and is awarded for two to four years depending on how many years of college you’ve already completed.

Option 02

Green to Gold Active-Duty Option

Combine your GI Bill benefits with other Army education benefits to help pay for school if you want to stay in active duty and attend college for your first bachelor’s or graduate degree.

Option 03

Army ROTC Green to Gold Division Commander’s Hip Pocket Scholarship

This selective program lets you complete your bachelor’s degree through the ROTC Scholarships program, where your chain of command can recommend you for outstanding service or exhibiting potential for the program.

Option 04

Green to Gold Non-Scholarship

If you want to leave active duty to attend college, you’ll receive a monthly stipend during school and commission as an Army Officer when you earn your degree. You can work with your local leadership to see if this option is available to you.

Requirements to qualify for the Green to Gold program.

Each Green to Gold program option has specific requirements, but all Active Duty enlisted Soldier applicants must:

  • Be a U.S. Citizen

  • Earn an ASVAB GT score of 110 or greater
  • Serve a minimum of two years active duty

  • Pass the Army Combat Fitness Test (ACFT) within the last six months

  • Have a cumulative High School or College GPA of 2.5

  • Obtain a letter of acceptance to their school of choice offering Army ROTC

  • Obtain a letter of acceptance from that school’s Army ROTC Battalion


Find out more about becoming a Soldier and if a career in the Army is right for you.

Common questions about the Green to Gold program.

Not finding what you need?
Chat with us any time.

How long after joining the Army as an enlisted Soldier can I apply to the Green to Gold program?

You must serve a minimum of two years active duty before applying for Green to Gold.

Can I apply to Green to Gold if I already have some college credit?

Yes. A high school diploma is the minimum education requirement but there are Green to Gold scholarship options that allow any previous college credits to be evaluated and accepted by your college of choice.

What is the difference between the Warrant Officer career path for enlisted Soldiers and Green to Gold?

Enlisted Soldiers can pursue Warrant Officer jobs, developing skilled expertise and providing guidance about their specialties to commissioned Officers, who have a higher rank and different requirements and responsibilities. The Green to Gold program is a way for enlisted Soldiers to become commissioned Officers.

How selective is Green to Gold?

Like all paths to commission as an Officer in the Army, Green to Gold is competitive and the standards are high. Some Green to Gold options select more enlisted Soldiers than others each year. Talk to an ROTC recruiter about which option matches your goals and experience.

How can current enlisted Soldiers apply for Green to Gold?

If you’re an active-duty enlisted Soldier interested in applying for a Green to Gold program, talk to your commanding Officer and visit the Cadet Command Green to Gold site(Opens in new window) to start your application.

Get In Touch

My Jobs

You have no saved jobs.

Take a short quiz or explore more than 200 jobs that might interest you.

Army Career Match
All Jobs

Tell us about yourself.

All fields are required.


Activity Title:

GoArmy Title:

Now, who referred you?

Fill in the first and last names of the person who referred you, along with their Department of Defense identification number (DoD ID #) for proof of service and phone number if they want to receive status updates. Their information is protected and maintained by the Privacy & Security Notice

Choose the Army career path you’re most interested in.

Answer True or False to the following statements based on your current situation (optional).

I’m a U.S. citizen or permanent and legal resident (I-551 card).
I am in high school, have a high school diploma, or am enrolled in college.
I have a GED.
I don’t have any tattoos.
I have some tattoos, with no (or subtle) placement on my hands, neck, or face.
I don’t have any medical concerns.
I have a minor medical condition or history.
I don’t have any law violations.
I have minor law violations, like speeding tickets.
I’m ready to talk to a recruiter to learn more.
I’m interested in the Army, but not quite ready to talk to a recruiter.

Find ROTC programs at schools you’re most interested in.

This helps us connect you to the right person. If you’re not sure yet, just select undecided.
    School selection is required.

    Privacy Act Notice: The above disclosure is voluntary. All information will be used strictly for recruiting purposes. The authority for the collection of this information is Title 10, United States Code, Sections 503, 505, 508, and 12102, and EO 9397. For more information, please review our Privacy & Security Notice.

    Recent entries.

    Give us a call

    Contact your local recruiting office with any questions.

    1-888-550-ARMY (2769)