Railway Operations Crewmember (88U)
- Active Duty
- Army Reserve
- Open to Women
- Entry Level
Railway operations crewmembers are primarily responsible for supervising and operating diesel-electric locomotives and related equipment. They also serve as a crewmember or brakeman in the makeup and movement of railway cars and trains.
- Execute instructions received from signal towers, switches, other trains and trainmen
- Signal with fuses, hands, flags, lamps and engine whistles
- Perform car coupling and uncoupling operations
- Check lashing and bracing to assure safe hauling of cargo
- Administering lubrication orders on railway cars and making minor running repairs
- Verify seals and seal numbers on freight cars
Those who want to serve must first take the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery, a series of tests that helps you better understand your strengths and identify which Army jobs are best for you.
Job training for a railway operations crewmember requires 10 weeks of Basic Combat Training and five weeks of Advanced Individual Training with on-the-job instructions. Part of this time is spent in the classroom and part in the field.
Required ASVAB Score(s)Mechanical Maintenance (MM) : 92
Learn more about the ASVAB and see what jobs you could qualify for.
Total compensation includes housing, medical, food, special pay, and vacation time. Learn more about total compensation.
In the Army, qualified students can earn full-tuition, merit-based scholarships, allowances for books and fees, plus an annual stipend for living expenses. Learn more about education benefits.
Future Civilian Careers
The skills you learn will help prepare you for a career with privately owned national railway chains or government-operated railroad companies.
PARTNERSHIP FOR YOUTH SUCCESS (PaYS) Program
Those interested in this job may be eligible for civilian employment, after the Army, by enrolling in the Army PaYS program. The PaYS program is a recruitment option that guarantees a job interview with military friendly employers that are looking for experience and trained Veterans to join their organization. Find out more about the Army PaYS Program at http://www.armypays.com.
- Rush Enterprises
- Ruan Transportation Mgt. Sys. Inc.
- D. M. Bowman, Inc.
- Liquid Transport Corp
- Transport Corporation of America, Inc.
- Sentinel Transportation, LLC
- Nationwide Truck Brokers, Inc.
- J. B. Hunt Transportation, Inc.
- Total Quality Logistics, LLC
- TMC Transportation, Inc.