NC A&T State University

AGGIE BATTALION HISTORY

The Land Grant or Morrill Act of 1862 and 1890 provided for militarytraining at state colleges in return for federally controlled lands andfunds.  The concept of military training on North Carolina A&T campusactually began in 1919 when the Department of the Army established an InfantryBranch of the Senior Reserve Officers’ Training Corps at theUniversity. 

 

  LT Robert L. Campbell, holder of the Distinguished Service Cross),was appointed as the first Professor of Military Science (PMS) with SergeantWilburn Green as his assistant.  LT Campbell departed North CarolinaA&T State University in November of that year for other military servicesand the position was filled by a civilian.  Sergeant Green remained at theuniversity until 1926, working with students.  In 1936, CPT Campbellreturned to North Carolina A&T to serve as the PMS; once again the programwas under military control and obtained a Junior ROTC designation and wasidentified as 55 Charlie.  ROTC remained a Junior unit until Sept 1942when it received Senior status and was designated as a Branch Specific Unit(Infantry).  In 1947, eight second lieutenants were commissioned andbranched Infantry.

 

  In 1954, the Branch Specific Unit (Infantry) was converted to aGeneral Military Science (GMS) unit.  At the discretion of the university,ROTC became an elective course in September 1968.  The ROTC unit at NorthCarolina A&T State University is currently designated as First ROTC RegionInstructor Group, Senior Division, and branch affiliated with theTransportation Corps.

 

  Since inception, the University’s Army ROTC program has become apartnership in Nursing School.  It has also expanded its program to bringstudents from the University of North Carolina at Greensboro, Bennett College,Elon University, Greensboro College, Guilford College, and High PointCollege.