Preventive Medicine Specialist (68S)
- Active Duty
- Army Reserve
- Open to Women
- Entry Level
Preventive medicine specialists are primarily responsible for conducting or assisting with preventive medicine inspections, surveys and preventative medicine laboratory procedures. They also supervise preventive medicine facilities or serve on preventive medicine staffs.
- Conduct preventive medicine inspections
- Assist with preventive medicine laboratory procedures
- Conduct survey and control operations
Job training for a preventive medicine specialist requires 10 weeks of Basic Combat Training and 15 weeks of Advanced Individual Training, which includes on-the-job instruction and practice in testing specimens.
Some of the skills you’ll learn are:
- Sanitation inspection procedures
- Understanding of parasites and diseases affecting humans
- Bacteriological analysis of potable water
- Interest in biology, chemistry and algebra
- Ability to follow detailed procedures precisely
- Interest in scientific and technical work
Required ASVAB Score(s)Skilled Technical (ST) : 101
Learn more about the ASVAB and see what jobs you could qualify for.
Total compensation includes housing, medical, food, special pay, and vacation time. Learn more about total compensation.
Future Civilian Careers
The skills you learn will help prepare you for a future with privately owned research institutions, public health departments and the environmental sciences professions.
Through your extensive Army training and some additional study, you may be able to qualify for certification as a registered environmental health specialist/registered sanitarian and certified radiation protection technologist. Specific educational criteria must be met before you can qualify for certification.
PARTNERSHIP FOR YOUTH SUCCESS (PaYS) Program
Those interested in this job may be eligible for civilian employment, after the Army, by enrolling in the Army PaYS program. The PaYS program is a recruitment option that guarantees a job interview with military friendly employers that are looking for experienced and trained Veterans to join their organization. Find out more about the Army PaYS Program at http://www.armypays.com.
- Johns Hopkins Hospital/Health Systems
- NorthCrest Medical Center
- Cleveland Clinic
- Atlantic Health System
- Bell Ambulance, Inc.
- Prince William Health System
- Reliant Medical Group
- Yale-New Haven Hospital
- Baton Rouge General Medical Center