University of Texas at El Paso
The Military Science program at UTEP uses constructive educational principles to educate cadets on leadership using an internship type of program. In this picture the Cadet Commander and Sergeant Major discuss the training events planned for that day. In ROTC the senior cadets mentored by the faculty assist in preparing and executing the weekly leadership and physical education programs.

The Cadet Battalion Commander and Command Sergeant Major

The Military Science program at UTEP uses constructive educational principles to educate cadets on leadership using an internship type of program. In this picture the Cadet Commander and Sergeant Major discuss the training events planned for that day. In ROTC the senior cadets mentored by the faculty assist in preparing and executing the weekly leadership and physical education programs.

Military Training at UTEP prior to the introduction of ROTC

In 1943, 250 engineering trainees, cadets of the National Army Specialized Training Program entered the Texas College of Mines for training in engineering and other sciences, with an orientation in humanities. A US Army commandant maintained military discipline and they cadets were housed in barrack building moved onto the campus for this purpose. This program closed the following year when they were integrated with the regular Army.

ROTC is established at UTEP in 1948.

Senior Army ROTC was established the College of Mines and Metallurgy at El Paso, Texas, effective 1 July 1948 as an Artillery ROTC unit (GENERAL ORDERS NUMBER 98, Headquarters Forth Army, fort Sam Houston, Texas, dated 16 June 1948)

All Military Science and Tactics training was in Coast Artillery (AC) the precursor to Anti-aircraft Artillery (AAA) which was the forerunner of to Air Defense Artillery (ADA). Most graduating cadets received reserve commissions in the Coast Artillery until about 1957. Those cadets who were designated Distinguished Military Students (DMS) and later as Distinguished Military Graduates (DMG) could apply for a Regular Army commission in a branch of service of their choice, if accepted by that branch.

The Miner Battalion establishes itself as an integral piece of the UTEP campus.

In 1949 the Texas College of mines and Metallurgy’s name was changed to Texas Western College (TWC) and again in 1966 to the University of Texas at El Paso (UTEP). The initial ROTC headquarters was located in a large two story Quonset hut just north of Kidd field. There the headquarters remained until 1961 when it was moved into Memorial Gym near the Don Haskins special Events Center.

In 1958 the ROTC training program was changed to that of Branch Immaterial and the program no longer only produced artillerymen. In 1969 women were permitted to enroll in the Senior ROTC program. Since that time many women have received Army commissions at UTEP.

Cadet Command creates The Miner Battalion.

In 1981 the Military Science Department moved to its current location in a building specifically focused designed to support the unique nature and academic goals of the Army ROTC program.  On 15 April 1986, the Army ROTC program of the past met the future and was transformed into the US Army Cadet Command.   The new ROTC focus became “Leadership Excellence”.  This new touchstone better exemplified the role of ROTC in producing scholar warriors well versed in Army dogma.    

Today, the program is geared to produce officers trained in general military science who will, upon graduation, will serve in the Active Army, Army Reserve or National Guard.   In the past 70 years the Senior ROTC program at UTEP has produced well over 2036 commissioned officers for service to our nation.