Texas State University-San Marcos
battalion logo

BOBCAT BATTALION

(512) 245-0390

armyrotc@txstate.edu

The History of Texas State Army ROTC

Authorized by the Texas Legislature in 1899, Southwest Texas State Normal School opened its doors in 1903. Over the years the Legislature broadened the institution's scope and changed the last part of its name to Normal College,Teachers College, College, and University. In 2003 the name finally changed to“Texas State University San Marcos,” reflecting the university's growth from a small teachers school to a major, multipurpose university with a growing national reputation. Today, Texas State offers 115 undergraduate programs, 84 masters programs and six doctoral fields of study and has a total student population of more than 27,000.

Army ROTC has been a part of university life since 1976, when SWT signed across-enrollment agreement that allowed its students to take military science classes at the University of Texas. The agreement was an instant success. In1982, SWT added Army ROTC to its own curriculum and the Bobcat Battalion wasborn. It remained cross-enrolled with UT until 1986, when the program was designated an extension center. In 1996, the Bobcat Battalion won the General Douglas MacArthur Award for the best battalion of its size in the nation, and in 2000 it officially became a host program in its own right, no longer affiliated with UT. Within a few short months, Texas Lutheran University in nearby Seguin became the first partnership school to join the Bobcat Battalion.

Today, cadets from Texas State and TLU make up one of the finest ROTC battalions in the nation.