Northern Michigan University
battalion logo

WILDCAT BATTALION

(906) 227-2236

military@nmu.edu

After a long day of training cadets must critique their plan and how the plan was executed throughout the day.

AAR

After a long day of training cadets must critique their plan and how the plan was executed throughout the day.

A History of Excellence

In 1948, the State Board of Education authorized the four teachers’ colleges to request and install Reserve Officer Training Corps (ROTC) on campus. Northern did not begin a program at this time as its application was not accepted.  After 1952, the Department of the Army was instructed not toadd any more ROTC units.  In 1965, President Edgar Harden expressed Northern’s continued interest in being considered if the ROTC Program was to be expanded.  However, it was not until 1967 that Northern was invited to file a formal application for a senior ROTC unit.

By the late summer, the ROTC program was approved.  In November 1968, Northern was notified that its application had been accepted and meetings were held to discuss the implementation of this program.  The ROTC program became known as the Department of Military Science.

The Department of the Army began assigning officers to the detachment in February 1969.  On April 17, 1969, the Department of Defense established NMU’s Department of Military Science.

The first classes met in September with an enrollment of 53 students. In the spring of 1971, the Department commissioned its first two lieutenants.  In 1973, ROTC was officially opened to women.  That year, 13 female students enrolled in the program.

From 1976 to 1982, the NMU ROTC also hosted Lake Superior State’s ROTC program.  The Department has received numerous awards for management andtraining excellence. 

In the 1991-2004 the departments offices, classroom and supply room moved between many location to include the Learning Resource Center  Carey Hall, McClintock, and the Services Building; finally resting in it’s current location with offices in Gries Hall and the classroom/supply in C.B. Hedgcock Student Service Center.

As of 14 Dec 2005, the Wildcat Battalion has commissioned 346 Army Second Lieutenants.