Kent State University

Army ROTC at Kent State University

During World War II, the University offered its resources to the U.S. ArmyAir Corps. From 1943 –1944, pre-flight aircrew trainees occupied Moulton,Lowry, and Engleman Halls and using the classrooms, faculty, and the oldathletic field (now the Commons). In 1946, a flood of veterans entered KentState. A Department of Military Science and Tactics was established in 1947followed by the Department of Air Science and Tactics in 1951.   ArmyReserve Officers’ Training Corps (ROTC) began at Kent State University in July1947 to answer the Army’s need for officers. The KSU Army ROTC program wasdesignated an Infantry branch program. The majority of the first cadets wereveterans of World War II. In 1953, the program was adopted as general MilitaryScience, commissioning officers in all sixteen branches of the Army. In 1971,the program moved from the college or Arts and Sciences and was placed underthe administration of the Provost.

Golden Eagle Battalion at KSU

In 1986, the cadet corps was named “The Golden Eagle Battalion.” In 1995,Kent State University ROTC Department (host institution) assumed responsibilityfor the University of Akron (an extension center), and Youngstown StateUniversity and Mount Union College were established as partnership programs.The association with University of Akron ended in 1998, when the university’sprogram was granted autonomy. The KSU Army ROTC program has continued toflourish as an academic department. Since it began in 1947, the KSU Army ROTCprogram has commissioned over 1,160 second lieutenants. The Army ROTC programcontinues to be a visible asset, providing support to many KSU activities. TheGolden Eagle Battalion and Kent State University will continue to provide highquality officers to the United State Army.