Capital University
Air Force ROTC Cadet receives award.

Air Force ROTC Award

Air Force ROTC Cadet receives award.

A Proud History-A Bright Future

 The Army Reserve Officers' Training Corps (ROTC) as it exists today, began with the signing of the National Defense Act of 1916, on June 3 of that year by President Woodrow Wilson. Military training had been taking place at civilian colleges and universities as early as 1819 but the signing of the National Defense Act brought this training under a single, Federally-controlled entity –– the Reserve Officers' Training Corps (ROTC)–– for the first time.

ROTC first came  to Capital University's course catalog in 1917, during World War I.   Our first commander was Commandant Innis.   He went to Officer Training School at Fort Benjamin Harrison.

In the 40's the United States Air Force was a separate Service.   It was a branch of the Army.

In the early 50's, when the Air Force became its own Service, Capital's ROTC turned into an Air Force program.  The ROTC classes taught Basic Air Science.   The first year recruits learned about political geography, leadership, drill, and exercise of command.   The second year taught air power, aero-dynamics, propulsion, weather, navigation, and drill.  

Like today, the recruits were required to wear their uniforms to classes once a week.

The ROTC program at Capital remained with Air Force for quite some time.   During the time of Vietnam, there were some riots against ROTC, but still several students enrolled into ROTC and went to become military leaders.

The Task Force Crusader Army ROTC program had its beginnings on the Franklin University campus. The program at Franklin University was established as an extension of The Ohio State University’s Military Science Department. In 1992, Franklin University’s Professor of Military Science consulted with the Capital University faculty concerning the need to move Army ROTC to the Capital campus. Changing demographics at Franklin University made the relocation prudent in order to maintain the viability of the program. Thus, the program was moved to Capital University in 1993.

While Task Force Crusader remained an extension center of The Ohio State University’s Army ROTC program, marketing success resulted in addition of several local schools to its list of affiliate programs. In 1999, a total of seven schools were affiliate including: Columbus College of Art and Design, Columbus State Community College, Denison University, DeVry Institute of Technology, Ohio Dominican University, Ohio Wesleyan University, and Otterbein College. In 2006, Task Force Crusader expanded its borders again with the integration of Mount Vernon Nazarene University. In 1996 the Task Force Crusader received the coveted Partnership in Nursing Excellence (PNE) designation, largely due to the support and backing of Capital University School of Nursing. In 1999, the Task Force was named as one of the schools to participate in the Alternative Staffing Program (TPU Augmentation Program). As a result, in 2000, the Task Force and the ROTC Brigade 84th DIV (IT), formed a partnership assigning USAR officers and NCOs at Capital University to perform their duties as part of Capital ROTC cadre.

In the future, Task Force Crusader will continue to flourish. As a result of the CY2000 Annual Program Review, Cadet Command determined that all units heretofore considered extension centers were to be upgraded to independent host units. Thus, in 2001, Task Force Crusader became its own host program. At the same time Task Force Crusader also increased its Cadre authorizations by two, allowing permanent assignment of an additional officer and supply NCO. Task Force Crusader, looking to the future, sees exciting opportunities to impact on the future leadership of the U.S. Army.