Canisius College

The Army Reserve Officer Training Corps was established at Canisius Collegein 1951. For 16 years until 1967 the basic course was compulsory for allqualified male students attending Canisius College.  In 1980, the unitbecame part of the newly formed ROTC Cadet Command, headquartered at FortMonroe, Virginia.  In 1992 and 1995 the Golden Griffin Battalion wasselected as the outstanding ROTC battalion in First Region and awarded theOrder of the Founders and Patriots of America.  Over 1200 lieutenants havereceived their commissions through the Army ROTC program at Canisius Collegeserving their country in both the Reserve and Active Components. Graduates of the program have proudly served in all major conflicts.