Carpentry and Masonry Specialist (12W)
- Active Duty
- Army Reserve
- Open to Women
- Entry Level
A carpentry and masonry specialist is responsible for general heavy carpentry and masonry duties.
- Construct and maintain rigging devices, trusses and other structural assemblies
- Assist in building layout, framing, sheathing, fabrication and roofing structures
- Perform basic carpentry and masonry skills
- Assist in the performance of combat engineer missions
- Construct concrete form work for slabs, walls and columns
Those who want to serve must first take the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery, a series of tests that helps you better understand your strengths and identify which Army jobs are best for you.
Job training for a concrete and masonry specialist requires 10 weeks of Basic Combat Training and nine weeks of Advanced Individual Training. Part of this time is spent in the classroom and part in the field with on-the-job instructions.
Some of the skills you’ll learn are:
- Basics in concrete technology, materials, proportioning and control tests
- Proper use of finishing tools
- Placing, consolidation and finishing
- Edging, jointing, curing and protection
- Basics in structure foaming, roofing and flooring
- Enjoy doing physical work
- Interest in science and math
- Preference for working outdoors
- Interest in working with your hands
Required ASVAB Score(s)General Maintenance (GM) : 88
Learn more about the ASVAB and see what jobs you could qualify for.
Total compensation includes housing, medical, food, special pay, and vacation time. Learn more about total compensation.
In the Army, qualified students can earn full-tuition, merit-based scholarships, allowances for books and fees, plus an annual stipend for living expenses. Learn more about education benefits.
Future Civilian Careers
The skills you learn will help prepare you for a career in commercial and residential construction.
PARTNERSHIP FOR YOUTH SUCCESS (PaYS) Program
Those interested in this job may be eligible for civilian employment, after the Army, by enrolling in the Army PaYS program. The PaYS program is a recruitment option that guarantees a job interview with military friendly employers that are looking for experience and trained Veterans to join their organization. Find out more about the Army PaYS Program at http://www.armypays.com.
- AT&T, Inc.
- Hewlett-Packard Company
- Kraft Foods Global, Inc.
- Sears Holdings Corporation
- Time Customer Service, Inc.
- Walgreen Co.