Cable Systems Installer-Maintainer (25L)
- Active Duty
- Army Reserve
- Open to Women
- Entry Level
Cable systems installer-maintainers are primarily responsible for the maintenance of cable/wire communications systems, communication security devices and other associated equipment. This equipment needs to consistently work in order for the Army to direct the movement of its troops
- Perform test on cable communications systems and circuit groups
- Operate manual and motorized cable construction equipment
- Install and repair circuits and wiring
- Maintenance on power generators
Those who want to serve must first take the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery, a series of tests that helps you better understand your strengths and identify which Army jobs are best for you.
Job training for a cable systems installer-maintainer requires 10 weeks of Basic Combat Training and eight weeks of Advanced Individual Training with on-the-job instruction. Part of this time is spent in the classroom and in the field.
Some of the skills you’ll learn are:
- Mechanical and electrical principles
- Preventive maintenance procedures
- Line installation and wiring techniques
- Communication security policies and procedures
- Preference in working with electronic equipment
- Interest in solving problems
Required ASVAB Score(s)Surveillance & Communications (SC) : 89, Electronics (EL) : 89
Learn more about the ASVAB and see what jobs you could qualify for.
Total compensation includes housing, medical, food, special pay, and vacation time. Learn more about total compensation.
In the Army, qualified students can earn full-tuition, merit-based scholarships, allowances for books and fees, plus an annual stipend for living expenses. Learn more about education benefits.
Future Civilian Careers
The skills you learn will help prepare you for a career with companies that produce communications and electronic equipment.
PARTNERSHIP FOR YOUTH SUCCESS (PaYS) Program
Those interested in this job may be eligible for civilian employment, after the Army, by enrolling in the Army PaYS program. The PaYS program is a recruitment option that guarantees a job interview with military friendly employers that are looking for experience and trained Veterans to join their organization. Find out more about the Army PaYS Program at http://www.armypays.com.
- AAI CORPORATION
- EATON CORPORATION
- L-3 Communications Linguist Operations & Technical Support
- Comcast Cable Communications, Inc
- CISCO SYSTEMS
- CDW, LLC
- CoxCom, Inc.