75th Ranger Regiment
75th Ranger RGT talking

 If I did not start my military career in the Army, will I still be able to serve in the 75th Ranger Regiment?

  • Yes, the Ranger Regiment is always looking for the best soldiers, NCOs, and Officers from the conventional Army.  It does not matter if you did not begin your career in the Ranger Regiment.  You will not be treated differently; however, you will be expected to maintain the same high level of standards of your peers in the Regiment.
  • The 75th Ranger Regiment is experiencing an increased level of growth the next few years.  We need soldiers in all MOS's to seek service in this unit.

What is the difference between the 75th Ranger Regiment and Ranger School?  

  • The 75th Ranger Regiment is a Special Operations unit with the mission to plan and conduct joint special military operations in support of U.S. policies and objectives.  The Regiment is the largest Special Operations direct action force.
  • Ranger School is the Army's premier leadership school and falls under the Ranger Training Brigade (RTB) at Fort Benning and the Maneuver Center of Excellence (MCoE).  RTB is a member of the Training and Doctrine Command (TRADOC), while the 75th Ranger Regiment is a Modified Table of Organization and Equipment (MTOE) unit.
  • The 75th Ranger Regiment does require that its leaders attend the U.S. Army Ranger School; however, it is not a pre-requisite to join the Ranger Regiment in all instances.  All Infantry and Artillery Military Occupational Specialties (MOS) must complete the course before they assume a leadership role in the Regiment.  The remainder of the MOS's in the Regiment send their leaders when they are ready.

Do I have to have my Ranger tab in order to become a member of the 75th Ranger Regiment?

  • No, you can come to the Ranger Regiment without being Ranger and/or Airborne qualified.  However, some officers are required to be Ranger qualified before they are eligible to apply to the Ranger Regiment.  This requirement applies to Infantry and Field Artillery Officers.  
  • Upon successful completion of one of our Ranger Assessment & Selection Programs (RASP), we will send you to the appropriate schools in order to serve in the Ranger Regiment. For some duty positions, you will not serve in the Regiment until you successfully complete Ranger School.  If you are unable to complete the course, you may be dropped from the Regiment and sent to serve at the needs of the Army. 
  • Obviously, if you have your Ranger tab before you apply, it will only expedite you ability to serve in the Regiment.

What do I have to do to join the 75th Ranger Regiment?

First off, you must meet the following pre-requisites:

  • Be a U.S. citizen
  • Volunteer for assignment and be on active duty
  • Have a General Technical (GT) Score of 105 or higher  
  • A Physical Training score of 240 or above (80% on each event)
  • No physical limitations with a PULHES of 111221 or better
  • Qualify and volunteer for Airborne training
  • A person of good character (no pending UCMJ action or drug or alcohol related incidence within 24 months)
  • Must enlist into or currently hold a Military Occupational Specialty found in the 75th Ranger Regiment
  • Able to attain at minimum a Secret clearance

If you are already in the Army and want to join the Regiment, please send a copy of your Enlisted Record Brief (ERB) to 75recruit@soc.mil.  We will review it and ensure you are eligible.  If eligible, we will send you a copy of the appropriate packet to apply for the Regiment.

If you are not currently in the Army or prior service, you should contact your local recruiter and request an Option 40 contract.  You can contact your local recruiter through the Go Army website:  http://www.goarmy.com/learn.html.  A local Army Recruiter in your area will contact you to discuss your possible future in the United States Army.  

My local recruiter told me that there are no more Option 40 contracts available, is this true and what should I do?

  • Currently, there are 150 Option 40 contracts available each month for Infantrymen.  For all other MOS's, it is 10 contracts or less, depending on the MOS.  Unfortunately, the contracts for the year typically get filled within the first few months they are released.  If you have a strong desire to join the Ranger Regiment, you may need to wait until new contracts are available. If you want to join the Army and serve in the Ranger Regiment, you should begin planning 12-18 months before you are available.
  • The United States Army Recruiting Command (USAREC) provides contracts each fiscal year (FY) based on the Army's strength.  Once USAREC meets its mission in an MOS, there are no more contracts available for that FY.  USAREC adds more contract roughly 18 months out from the report date.  
  • If you cannot get an Option 40, you can either wait for new contracts to become available or you can try and volunteer during your Basic Combat Training (BCT), One Station Unit Training (OSUT), Advance Individual Training (AIT), or while at Airborne School.  The only guaranteed route to the Regiment is with an Option 40 contract.  All other routes are not guaranteed.

Can I join the Regiment from the Nation Guard, Army Reserves, or a sister service?

  • The third prerequisite for serving in the Ranger Regiment is "Volunteer for assignment and be on active duty"
  • We are unable to hire National Guard, AGR or Reserve Soldiers directly.  You will have to first enlist Active Duty and serve with a Conventional Unit for at least 6 months and then contact the Regimental Recruiting Detachment (REC-D) at 75recruit@soc.mil.
  • If you are in another service and going through the Blue to Green program or something similar, the same requirements above apply.  

I submitted my packet to come to the Rangers but I have not received any feedback.  When will I get orders?

  • First off, please contact the REC-D to ensure that your packet is complete and submitted to Human Resources Command (HRC).
  • If you are enlisted, once your packet is submitted, it roughly takes 6-8 weeks to generate orders.  Please allow that amount of time before you contact us with issues.
  • If you are an officer, please contact the Regimental Assistant S1 at 706-545-0575 to determine when you are slotted to attend RASP 2.

How do I Re-enlist to come to the Ranger Regiment?

  • Talk to your BN Career Counselor and tell him/her that you want to Re-enlist under Option 5 (CONUS Station of Choice) to come to the 75th Ranger Regiment.  Under Ranger Data, you will be able to select your Battalion of choice:  1/75 – Hunter Army Airfield; 2/75 – Fort Lewis, 3/75, RSTB, RHQ – Fort Benning.
  • Technically, you are Re-enlisting for the installation of choice.  If you are unable to complete training or fail Airborne School or RASP, then you will still go to that installation and be assigned needs of the Army.  You will be able to re-apply for the Ranger Regiment in 6 months.  

My Chain of Command will not sign the 4187 or support my move to the Ranger Regiment.  What do I do?

  • The Regiment requests the support from the chain of command.  We need their support to bring you to the Ranger Regiment.  
  • If they do not want to support your desires, we can discuss it with your chain of command in an effort to bring you to the Ranger Regiment.  Please contact the REC-D by phone or email.  Please provide us with your Company Commander and 1SG’s names and phone numbers

Can I bring my family with me to Airborne or RASP?

  • DO NOT bring your family with you when you come for Airborne School or RASP.  The duration of training and your final destination is not guaranteed.  
  • If you are coming from a CONUS Installation then you will be attending in a TDY and Return status and will go back to your unit to Clear and PCS.  
  • If you Re-enlisted for the assignment or are coming from an OCONUS Installation, then you will be attending in a TDY en route status.  You will already have orders to your final duty station prior to your departure from your losing unit and will have 2 Courses of Action that you can take:
  1. You can have your family stay with you or your spouse's family until you complete training.  You should receive permissive TDY to move your family once you are complete with training.
  2. You can have your spouse begin looking for a place to live at your final duty station while you are in training.  
  • The best and safest COA is to have your family stay somewhere with family until you are complete with training.  Again, DO NOT bring your family with you when you report for training.