The interpreter/translator 09L MOS is primarily responsible for conducting interpretation and preparing translations between English and a foreign language. They also assist Soldiers with familiarization training in foreign languages and cultural awareness. 09L Soldiers specialize in a number of languages. Some primary duties may include the following.
- Prepare nontechnical translations into the target language and perform sight translations from a target language into English
- Perform oral interpretation
- Assist military contracting officers with a local purchase or provide interpretation support at a military traffic control point
- Assist security personnel in screening the local population at military checkpoints
- Provide interpretation assistance for the Public Affairs Office during local media events and translation of local newspapers or pamphlet