Army Chaplain Corps
Chaplain Fuller gives a field service next to some HUMVEES.


We are looking for religious leaders who:

  • Are not older than 42 by the date they commission into the Army.
  • Have completed their basic theological education for their denomination or faith tradition (often the Master of Divinity degree).
  • Have completed at least two years of post-theological education professional experience in their denomination or faith tradition (applies to active duty only).
  • Are ordained and endorsed by their denomination or faith tradition to serve in one of the components of the Army.
  • Have served a minimum of two years in a full-time professional capacity as a member of a denomination or faith group, validated by an endorsing agency (this requirement does not apply to Army Reserve or Army National Guard applicants).


You must obtain an ecclesiastical endorsement from your faith group.

This endorsement should certify that you are:

  • A clergy person in your denomination or faith group.
  • Qualified spiritually, morally, intellectually and emotionally to serve as a chaplain in the Army.
  • Sensitive to religious pluralism and able to provide for the ‘free exercise’ of religion by all military personnel, their family members and civilians who work for the Army.


In order to qualify as an Army Chaplain, you must possess the following degrees from accredited institutions:

  • A baccalaureate degree of no less than 120 semester hours.
  • A graduate degree in theological or religious studies, and at least 72 semester hours in graduate work.


  • U.S. citizens can apply for active duty, the Army National Guard and the Army Reserve.
  • You must be able to obtain a security clearance.
  • You must pass a physical exam at a Military Entrance Processing Station (MEPS).
  • You must be at least 21 years old and under age 42 at the time of active duty commissioning.
  • For Army National Guard or Army Reserve commissioning, you must be under the age of 47 at the time of commissioning. If you have prior service in the U.S. military, please talk to your recruiter.