Formerly known as the Blue to Green Program, the Inter-Service Transfer (IST) program will allow you to continue to serve your country, maintain the benefits of military service and expand your horizons by gaining new training in another military branch. The program allows sister Service Members (SMs) to transfer to Active Duty service in the Army. Enrollment in the program depends on your current active service obligation, and your branch’s willingness to release you to the Army.

enlisted program qualifications

  • E1 through E5 will retain their grade and same date of rank
  • All E5's and above will have their eligibility determined by CG of USAREC
  • IST applicants are restricted to the Prior Service Business Rules with the exception of those applying to OCS or WOFT
  • Must have approved DD Form 368
  • Must pass a MEPS physical
  • Must meet Army height and weight standards
  • Warrant Officer Course (WOC) Selectees from Sister Services take a physical as part of the application process. Selectees must have an HIV screening within two years. No MEPS physical will be required if already passed the physical as part of their processing for WOCS

Uniformed Service commissioned and warrant officers

The Active Component IST Program accepts applications from qualified Uniformed Service commissioned and warrant officers serving on the active duty list (ADL). This includes all uniformed services competitive categories, functional areas, and health care professions, as well as students enrolled in the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences (USUHS).

Will I need to attend Army basic combat training

Service Members with more than a 5-year break in service or those who have not completed one of the following:

  • Army BCT
  • Marine Corps BCT
  • Navy Special Operations Forces
  • Air Force Special Operations Forces
  • Air Force Security Police
Will have to attend U.S. Army Basic Combat Training:


Click the button below to submit an email and request more information about the Inter-Service Transfer program. Select Inter-Service Transfer from the "Question Regarding" drop down menu and someone will contact you with more information.