Powerline Distribution Specialist (12Q)
- Active Duty
- Army Reserve
- Open to Women
- Entry Level
The power distribution specialist is primarily responsible for the electrical distribution system in the Army.
- Assist in installation of electrical prime power distribution systems, exterior services and utility poles
- Install guys, anchor, crossarm, conductor, insulator and other hardware
- Connect service drops and conduits on de-energized systems
Those who want to serve must first take the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery, a series of tests that helps you better understand your strengths and identify which Army jobs are best for you.
Job training for power distribution specialist requires 10 weeks of Basic Combat Training and nine weeks of Advanced Individual Training. Part of this time is spent in the classroom and part in the field with on-the-job instructions.
Some of the skills you’ll learn are:
- Maintenance of electrical power distribution systems
- Installing poles accessories and transformers
- Maintenance of airfield lighting systems and overhead/underground lines
- Emphasis on the use of technical and manufacturer publications for electric power line distribution
- Ability to work as a team member
- Interest in shop mechanics
- Ability to perform a wide variety of duties
Required ASVAB Score(s)Electronics (EL) : 93
Learn more about the ASVAB and see what jobs you could qualify for.
Total compensation includes housing, medical, food, special pay, and vacation time. Learn more about total compensation.
In the Army, qualified students can earn full-tuition, merit-based scholarships, allowances for books and fees, plus an annual stipend for living expenses. Learn more about education benefits.
Future Civilian Careers
The skills you learn will help prepare you for a career as an electrician and/or with companies that design and produce communications equipment.
PARTNERSHIP FOR YOUTH SUCCESS (PaYS) Program
Those interested in this job may be eligible for civilian employment, after the Army, by enrolling in the Army PaYS program. The PaYS program is a recruitment option that guarantees a job interview with military friendly employers that are looking for experienced and trained Veterans to join their organization. Find out more about the Army PaYS Program at http://www.armypays.com.
- AT&T, Inc.
- Hewlett-Packard Company
- Kraft Foods Global, Inc.
- Sears Holdings Corporation
- Time Customer Service, Inc.
- Walgreen Co.