Animal Care Specialist (68T)
- Active Duty
- Army Reserve
- Entry Level
The animal care specialist is primarily responsible for the prevention and control of diseases transmitted from animal to man, as well as the comprehensive care for government-owned animals.
- Provide routine daily care for animals in veterinary treatment or research and development facilities
- Perform physical examinations to detect obvious abnormalities and reports findings to veterinarian
- Calculate doses and administers oral and topical medications as directed by the veterinarian
- Assist veterinarian in surgical procedures and perform euthanasia when instructed by veterinarian
Job training for an animal care specialist requires 10 weeks of Basic Combat Training and 11 weeks of Advanced Individual Training, including practice in animal care.
Some of the skills you’ll learn are:
- Patient care techniques
- Emergency medical techniques
- Methods of sterilizing surgical equipment
- Plaster-casting techniques
- Interest in general science and biology
- Enjoy helping others
- Ability to work under stressful or emergency conditions and follow directions precisely
Required ASVAB Score(s)Skilled Technical (ST) : 91
Learn more about the ASVAB and see what jobs you could qualify for.
Total compensation includes housing, medical, food, special pay, and vacation time. Learn more about total compensation.
Earn Cash For In Demand Jobs
You could earn up to $40,000 in cash bonuses just for enlisting under certain Military Occupational Specialties. Visit Jobs in Demand to see if this job qualifies for an enlistment bonus.
Future Civilian Careers
The skills you learn will help prepare you for a future as a veterinary aide or assistant at a veterinary hospital.
With training and continued study, you may qualify for certification as an assistant laboratory animal technician.
PARTNERSHIP FOR YOUTH SUCCESS (PaYS) Program
Those interested in this job may be eligible for civilian employment, after the Army, by enrolling in the Army PaYS program. The PaYS program is a recruitment option that guarantees a job interview with military friendly employers that are looking for experienced and trained Veterans to join their organization. Find out more about the Army PaYS Program at http://www.armypays.com.
- Johns Hopkins Hospital/Health Systems
- NorthCrest Medical Center
- Cleveland Clinic
- Atlantic Health System
- Bell Ambulance, Inc.
- Prince William Health System
- Reliant Medical Group
- Yale-New Haven Hospital
- Baton Rouge General Medical Center