Railway Section Repairer (88T)
- Active Duty
- Army Reserve
- Open to Women
- Entry Level
Railway section repairers are primarily responsible for performing maintenance on railway tracks, roadbeds, switches, fences and other railway facilities. Members of the Army railway team, such as the railway section repairer, play an integral role in the operation and maintenance of the Army’s railway operating battalions.
- Operate and maintain track motor cars
- Perform repair and maintenance of track, associated rail facilities and adjoining structures
- Repair roadbeds, switches, fences and sign posts
- Gauge tracks, properly spacing ties and checking degree of elevation of tracks undergoing repairs
Those who want to serve must first take the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery, a series of tests that helps you better understand your strengths and identify which Army jobs are best for you.
Job training for a railway section repairer requires 10 weeks of Basic Combat Training and five weeks of Advanced Individual Training with on-the-job instructions. Part of this time is spent in the classroom and part in the field.
- Interest in railways, operating heavy construction equipment and repairing rail problems
- Aptitude for troubleshooting
- Enjoy physical work and working outdoors
Required ASVAB Score(s)Mechanical Maintenance (MM) : 87
Learn more about the ASVAB and see what jobs you could qualify for.
Total compensation includes housing, medical, food, special pay, and vacation time. Learn more about total compensation.
In the Army, qualified students can earn full-tuition, merit-based scholarships, allowances for books and fees, plus an annual stipend for living expenses. Learn more about education benefits.
Future Civilian Careers
The skills you learn will help prepare you for a career with privately owned national railway chains or government-operated railroad companies.
PARTNERSHIP FOR YOUTH SUCCESS (PaYS) Program
Those interested in this job may be eligible for civilian employment, after the Army, by enrolling in the Army PaYS program. The PaYS program is a recruitment option that guarantees a job interview with military friendly employers that are looking for experienced and trained Veterans to join their organization. Find out more about the Army PaYS Program at http://www.armypays.com.
- Rush Enterprises
- Ruan Transportation Mgt. Sys. Inc.
- D. M. Bowman, Inc.
- Liquid Transport Corp
- Transport Corporation of America, Inc.
- Sentinel Transportation, LLC
- Nationwide Truck Brokers, Inc.
- J. B. Hunt Transportation, Inc.
- Total Quality Logistics, LLC
- TMC Transportation, Inc.