Paralegal Specialist (27D)
- Active Duty
- Army Reserve
- Open to Women
- Entry Level
The paralegal specialist provides legal/administrative support in areas of criminal law, family law, international law, contract law and fiscal law. They assist judges, Army lawyers and unit commanders with legal matters and judicial work
- Paralegal support to unit commanders and the Office of the Staff Judge Advocate
- Provide legal documents in courts-martial, nonjudicial punishments and other military justice matters
- Prepare line of duty determinations, separation board proceedings and other administrative law matters
- Assistance in the family law arena such as powers of attorney, wills and separation decrees
Those who want to serve must first take the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery, a series of tests that helps you better understand your strengths and identify which Army jobs are best for you.
Job training for a paralegal specialist requires 10 weeks of Basic Combat Training, and 10 weeks of Advanced Individual Training with on-the-job instruction.
Some of the skills you’ll learn are:
- Legal terminology and research techniques
- Preparation of legal documents
- Army judicial process
- Interviewing witnesses
- Ability to supervise those in a command
- Provide technical guidance to subordinates
- Maintain law/administrative library
- Monitor and review actions for accuracy
Required ASVAB Score(s)Clerical (CL) : 105
Learn more about the ASVAB and see what jobs you could qualify for.
Total compensation includes housing, medical, food, special pay, and vacation time. Learn more about total compensation.
In the Army, qualified students can earn full-tuition, merit-based scholarships, allowances for books and fees, plus an annual stipend for living expenses. Learn more about education benefits.
Future Civilian Careers
The skills you learn will help prepare you for a career as a legal assistant or a court clerk.
PARTNERSHIP FOR YOUTH SUCCESS (PaYS) Program
Those interested in this job may be eligible for civilian employment, after the Army, by enrolling in the Army PaYS program. The PaYS program is a recruitment option that guarantees a job interview with military friendly employers that are looking for experience and trained Veterans to join their organization. Find out more about the Army PaYS Program at http://www.armypays.com.
- AT&T, Inc.
- Hewlett-Packard Company
- Kraft Foods Global, Inc.
- Sears Holdings Corporation
- Time Customer Service, Inc.
- Walgreen Co.