Chemical, Biological, Radiological and Nuclear (CBRN) Officer (74A)
- Active Duty
- Army Reserve
- Open to Women
- Entry Level
A Chemical, Biological, Radiological and Nuclear officer commands the Army branch that specifically defends against the threat of CBRN weapons and Weapons of Mass Destruction. These officers lead an extraordinary chemical unit that is completely dedicated to protecting our nation.
- Command CBRN operations during combat/peacetime
- Coordinate employment of CBRN Soldiers at all levels of command
- Instruct CBRN skills at service schools and training centers
Those who want to serve must first take the Armed Forces Vocational Aptitude Battery, a series of tests that helps you better understand your strengths and identify which Army jobs are best for you.
Job training for a CBRN officer includes completion of the CBRN Basic Officer Leaders Course Phase III, where you will learn leadership skills, tactics and operational aspects used in a chemical platoon. Part of this time is spent in the classroom and in the field.
Some of the skills you’ll learn are:
- CBRN defense procedures and toxic agent training
- Preparing chemical units and serving as a battalion CBRN officer
- HAZMAT Operations Certifications (Department of Defense – accredited)
- Demolition exposures
- Self-discipline, confidence and intelligence
- Physically and mentally fit to perform under pressure
- Ability to make quick decisions
- Capable of bearing numerous responsibilities
Total compensation includes housing, medical, food, special pay, and vacation time. Learn more about total compensation.
In the Army, qualified students can earn full-tuition, merit-based scholarships, allowances for books and fees, plus an annual stipend for living expenses. Learn more about education benefits.
PARTNERSHIP FOR YOUTH SUCCESS (PaYS) Program
Those interested in this job may be eligible for civilian employment, after the Army, by enrolling in the Army PaYS program. The PaYS program is a recruitment option that guarantees a job interview with military friendly employers that are looking for experience and trained Veterans to join their organization. Find out more about the Army PaYS Program at http://www.armypays.com.
- AT&T, Inc.
- Hewlett-Packard Company
- Kraft Foods Global, Inc.
- Sears Holdings Corporation
- Time Customer Service, Inc.
- Walgreen Co.