Quarrying Specialist (12G)
- Active Duty
- Army Reserve
- Open to Women
- Entry Level
Quarry specialists help construct airfields, roads, dams and buildings by moving tons of earth/materials with heavy types of machinery.
They operate powered machines that are used in cleaning, crushing, drilling, grading and detonating rock at construction sites.
- Operate air compressors, pneumatic tools, hydraulic-powered rock drills, rock crushers, screening equipment
- Run the support equipment during crushing and screening (e.g. generators, conveyors, light sets and pumps)
Those who want to serve must first take the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery, a series of tests that helps you better understand your strengths and identify which Army jobs are best for you.
Job training for a quarry specialist requires 10 weeks of Basic Combat Training and five weeks of Advanced Individual Training. Part of this time is spent in the classroom and part in the field with on-the-job instructions.
Some of the skills you’ll learn are:
- Operation of different types of equipment
- Maintenance and repair of equipment
- General construction principles and information
- Interest in operating quarry construction equipment
- Preference for working outdoors
- Interest in explosives and blasting techniques
Required ASVAB Score(s)General Maintenance (GM) : 93
Learn more about the ASVAB and see what jobs you could qualify for.
Total compensation includes housing, medical, food, special pay, and vacation time. Learn more about total compensation.
In the Army, qualified students can earn full-tuition, merit-based scholarships, allowances for books and fees, plus an annual stipend for living expenses. Learn more about education benefits.
Future Civilian Careers
The skills you learn will help prepare you for a career with building contractors, state highway agencies, rock quarries, well drillers and construction firms.
PARTNERSHIP FOR YOUTH SUCCESS (PaYS) Program
Those interested in this job may be eligible for civilian employment, after the Army, by enrolling in the Army PaYS program. The PaYS program is a recruitment option that guarantees a job interview with military friendly employers that are looking for experience and trained Veterans to join their organization. Find out more about the Army PaYS Program at http://www.armypays.com.
- AT&T, Inc.
- Hewlett-Packard Company
- Kraft Foods Global, Inc.
- Sears Holdings Corporation
- Time Customer Service, Inc.
- Walgreen Co.