Radiology Specialist (68P)
- Active Duty
- Army Reserve
- Open to Women
- Entry Level
The radiology specialist is primarily responsible for operating X-ray and related equipment used in diagnosing and treating injuries and diseases.
- Perform body section radiography, foreign body localization, prenatal, pediatric, urogenital and radiographic examinations of the digestive, respiratory, vascular and nervous systems
- Operate fixed and portable radiology equipment
- Prepare, assemble and adjust instruments, materials and equipment
- Inspect and perform operator maintenance on radiology equipment
Job training for a radiology specialist requires 10 weeks of Basic Combat Training and 46 weeks of Advanced Individual Training, including practice with radiological equipment.
Some of the skills you’ll learn are:
- Patient care in radiology
- Medical ethics and law
- Human structure and function
- Principles of radiation protection
- Field radiography
- Interest in algebra, biology and other sciences
- High attention to detail
- Ability to follow strict standards and procedures
- Enjoy helping others
Required ASVAB Score(s)Skilled Technical (ST) : 106
Learn more about the ASVAB and see what jobs you could qualify for.
Total compensation includes housing, medical, food, special pay, and vacation time. Learn more about total compensation.
Future Civilian Careers
The skills you learn will help prepare you for a career as an X-ray technologist or a nuclear medicine technologist with hospitals, diagnostic clinics and medical laboratories.
The certifications available to you after continued study and experience are registered technologist (radiography) and registered technologist (nuclear medicine technologist). Specific educational criteria must be met before you can qualify for certification.
PARTNERSHIP FOR YOUTH SUCCESS (PaYS) Program
Those interested in this job may be eligible for civilian employment, after the Army, by enrolling in the Army PaYS program. The PaYS program is a recruitment option that guarantees a job interview with military friendly employers that are looking for experienced and trained Veterans to join their organization. Find out more about the Army PaYS Program at http://www.armypays.com.
- Johns Hopkins Hospital/Health Systems
- NorthCrest Medical Center
- Cleveland Clinic
- Atlantic Health System
- Bell Ambulance, Inc.
- Prince William Health System
- Reliant Medical Group
- Yale-New Haven Hospital
- Baton Rouge General Medical Center