Pharmacy Specialist (68Q)
- Active Duty
- Army Reserve
- Open to Women
- Entry Level
The pharmacy specialist is primarily responsible for preparing and dispensing prescribed drugs and medicines, while also maintaining pharmacy supplies and records.
- Prepare, control and issue pharmaceutical products
- Evaluate orders to verify dosage, dosage regimen and quantity to be dispensed
- Provide instructions to patients regarding medication consumption and side effects
- Perform quality control checks on medications
Job training for a pharmacy specialist requires 10 weeks of Basic Combat Training and 23 weeks of Advanced Individual Training, including practice in pharmaceutical tasks.
Some of the skills you’ll learn are:
- Pharmacy laws and regulations
- Drug types and uses
- Mixing and dispensing drugs
- Interest in mathematics, chemistry, biology, physiology and anatomy
- Experience with precise measurements and standards
- Ability to follow strict procedures and directions
Required ASVAB Score(s)Skilled Technical (ST) : 95
Learn more about the ASVAB and see what jobs you could qualify for.
Total compensation includes housing, medical, food, special pay, and vacation time. Learn more about total compensation.
Future Civilian Careers
The skills you learn will help prepare you for a future as a pharmacy helper at pharmacies, drug stores, hospitals or clinics.
With additional study and the completion of a written exam, you may qualify for certification as a pharmacy technician.
PARTNERSHIP FOR YOUTH SUCCESS (PaYS) Program
Those interested in this job may be eligible for civilian employment, after the Army, by enrolling in the Army PaYS program. The PaYS program is a recruitment option that guarantees a job interview with military friendly employers that are looking for experienced and trained Veterans to join their organization. Find out more about the Army PaYS Program at http://www.armypays.com.
- Johns Hopkins Hospital/Health Systems
- NorthCrest Medical Center
- Cleveland Clinic
- Atlantic Health System
- Bell Ambulance, Inc.
- Prince William Health System
- Reliant Medical Group
- Yale-New Haven Hospital
- Baton Rouge General Medical Center