Medical Laboratory Specialist (68K)
- Active Duty
- Army Reserve
- Open to Women
- Entry Level
The medical laboratory specialist conducts tests on the tissue, blood and body fluids of patients.
- Perform elementary blood banking and clinical laboratory procedures in hematology, immunohematology, clinical chemistry, serology, bacteriology, parasitology and urinalysis
- Collect blood specimens by venipuncture and capillary puncture
- Pack, unpack, inspect, store and distribute blood and blood products
- Assemble, disassemble and maintain laboratory equipment
Job training for a medical laboratory specialist requires 10 weeks of Basic Combat Training and 52 weeks of Advanced Individual Training, including practice-testing specimens.
Some of the skills you’ll learn are:
- Medical laboratory procedures
- Study of human parasites and diseases
- Laboratory administration and record keeping
- Interest in biology, chemistry and algebra
- Ability to follow detailed procedures precisely
Required ASVAB Score(s)Skilled Technical (ST) : 106
Learn more about the ASVAB and see what jobs you could qualify for.
Total compensation includes housing, medical, food, special pay, and vacation time. Learn more about total compensation.
Future Civilian Careers
The skills you learn will help prepare you for a career with privately owned laboratories, hospitals, clinics or research institutions.
The certifications available to you after continued study and experience are medical laboratory technician, cytotechnologist and clinical laboratory technician. Specific educational criteria must be met before you can qualify for certification.
PARTNERSHIP FOR YOUTH SUCCESS (PaYS) Program
Those interested in this job may be eligible for civilian employment, after the Army, by enrolling in the Army PaYS program. The PaYS program is a recruitment option that guarantees a job interview with military friendly employers that are looking for experience and trained Veterans to join their organization. Find out more about the Army PaYS Program at http://www.armypays.com.
- Johns Hopkins Hospital/Health Systems
- NorthCrest Medical Center
- Cleveland Clinic
- Atlantic Health System
- Bell Ambulance, Inc.
- Prince William Health System
- Reliant Medical Group
- Yale-New Haven Hospital
- Baton Rouge General Medical Center