Dental Specialist (68E)
- Active Duty
- Army Reserve
- Open to Women
- Entry Level
The dental specialist is primarily responsible for assisting Army dentists in the examination and treatment of patients, as well as helping to manage dental offices.
- Prepare dental operatory; select and arrange instruments; measure and record temperature, blood pressure and pulse, and assist dentist during patient exams
- Assist with administration of anesthesia, and in placement and removal of sutures
- Prepare restorative and impression materials
- Perform cardiopulmonary resuscitation and operate resuscitative equipment
Job training for a dental specialist requires 10 weeks of Basic Combat Training and eight weeks of Advanced Individual Training, including practicing dental care tasks. Part of this time is spent in the classroom and part in the field.
Some of the skills you'll learn are:
- Preventive dentistry
- Dental office procedures
- Radiology (X-ray) techniques
- Dental hygiene procedures
- Interest in biology and chemistry
- Enjoy helping others
- Good hand-eye coordination
- Ability to follow spoken instructions and detailed procedures
Required ASVAB Score(s)Skilled Technical (ST) : 91
Learn more about the ASVAB and see what jobs you could qualify for.
Total compensation includes housing, medical, food, special pay, and vacation time. Learn more about total compensation.
Future Civilian Careers
The skills you learn will help prepare you for a future at dental offices or clinics. You’ll be qualified to assist dentists in the treatment of patients, as well as provide support as a dental assistant or dental hygienist.
With your extensive Army training and some additional study, you may qualify for certification with either the American Medical Technologists as a registered dental assistant or with the Dental Assisting National Board as a certified dental assistant.
PARTNERSHIP FOR YOUTH SUCCESS (PaYS) Program
Those interested in this job may be eligible for civilian employment, after the Army, by enrolling in the Army PaYS program. The PaYS program is a recruitment option that guarantees a job interview with military friendly employers that are looking for experience and trained Veterans to join their organization. Find out more about the Army PaYS Program at http://www.armypays.com.
- Johns Hopkins Hospital/Health Systems
- NorthCrest Medical Center
- Cleveland Clinic
- Atlantic Health System
- Bell Ambulance, Inc.
- Prince William Health System
- Reliant Medical Group
- Yale-New Haven Hospital
- Baton Rouge General Medical Center