- Active Duty
- Army Reserve
- Open to Women
- Entry Level
A diver performs tasks such as reconnaissance, demolition and salvage in underwater conditions. They specialize in either scuba diving (below the surface of water) or deep-sea diving (longer periods of time in depths up to 190 feet).
- Inspect and clean watercraft propellers and hulls
- Patch damaged watercraft hulls
- Salvage sunken equipment
- Patrol the waters
- Assist with underwater construction of piers and harbor facilities
- Survey rivers, beaches and harbors for underwater obstacles
Those who want to serve must first take the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery, a series of tests that helps you better understand your strengths and identify which Army jobs are best for you.
Diver candidates must complete 10 weeks of Basic Combat Training and 29 weeks of Advanced Individual Training. Part of this time is spent in the classroom and part in the field, with on-the-job diving practice and repair work.
Some of the skills you’ll learn:
- Principles of scuba and surface-supplied diving
- Underwater welding and cutting
- Use and care of hand and power tools
- Maintenance of diving equipment
- Interest in mechanics and building
- Ability to stay calm under stress
- Interest in underwater diving
- High degree of self-reliance
Required ASVAB Score(s)Skilled Technical (ST) : 106
General Maintenance (GM) : 98, General Technical (GT) : 107
Learn more about the ASVAB and see what jobs you could qualify for.
Total compensation includes housing, medical, food, special pay, and vacation time. Learn more about total compensation.
In the Army, qualified students can earn full-tuition, merit-based scholarships, allowances for books and fees, plus an annual stipend for living expenses. Learn more about education benefits.
Future Civilian Careers
The skills you learn will help prepare you for practically any position in the field of construction.
PARTNERSHIP FOR YOUTH SUCCESS (PaYS) Program
Those interested in this job may be eligible for civilian employment, after the Army, by enrolling in the Army PaYS program. The PaYS program is a recruitment option that guarantees a job interview with military friendly employers that are looking for experienced and trained Veterans to join their organization. Find out more about the Army PaYS Program at http://www.armypays.com.
- AT&T, Inc.
- Hewlett-Packard Company
- Kraft Foods Global, Inc.
- Sears Holdings Corporation
- Time Customer Service, Inc.
- Walgreen Co.