- Active Duty
- Army Reserve
- Entry Level
Army plumbers and pipe fitters are responsible for installing and repairing plumbing and pipe systems.
- Maintain heating systems, basic water supply and water distribution systems
- Pipe systems for waste water
- Basic plumbers repair and maintenance
- Maintenance for plumbing fixtures, pipes, stacks, brackets, traps, vents and insulation
- Construction plans and drawings
Those who want to serve must first take the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery, a series of tests that helps you better understand your strengths and identify which Army jobs are best for you.
Job training for a plumber requires 10 weeks of Basic Combat Training and seven weeks of Advanced Individual Training. Part of this time is spent in the classroom and part in the field with on-the-job instructions, including practice with carpentry and masonry tools.
Some of the skills you’ll learn are:
- Installation and repair of pipe systems, plumbing fixtures, boiler controls, water purification and distillation systems
- Maintenance and repair of hydraulic and pneumatic systems
- Interest in math and shop mechanics
- Preference for physical work
- Ability to work with detailed plans
Required ASVAB Score(s)General Maintenance (GM) : 88
Learn more about the ASVAB and see what jobs you could qualify for.
Total compensation includes housing, medical, food, special pay, and vacation time. Learn more about total compensation.
In the Army, qualified students can earn full-tuition, merit-based scholarships, allowances for books and fees, plus an annual stipend for living expenses. Learn more about education benefits.
Future Civilian Careers
The skills you learn will help prepare you for a career in a mechanical or plumbing contracting company.
PARTNERSHIP FOR YOUTH SUCCESS (PaYS) Program
Those interested in this job may be eligible for civilian employment, after the Army, by enrolling in the Army PaYS program. The PaYS program is a recruitment option that guarantees a job interview with military friendly employers that are looking for experienced and trained Veterans to join their organization. Find out more about the Army PaYS Program at http://www.armypays.com.
- AT&T, Inc.
- Hewlett-Packard Company
- Kraft Foods Global, Inc.
- Sears Holdings Corporation
- Time Customer Service, Inc.
- Walgreen Co.