Indirect Fire Infantryman (11C)
- Active Duty
- Army Reserve
- Open to Women
- Entry Level
The indirect fire infantryman supervises or is a member of a mortar squads, sections or platoons. The mortar has the most power and range of any weapon in the infantry unit when they’re out on the battlefield.
- Set up, load and fire three types of mortars: 60mm, 81mm or 120mm
- Employ crew and weapons in offensive, defensive and retrograde ground combat
- Operate, clean and store automatic weapons
- Employ, fire and recover antipersonnel and antitank mines
- Locate and neutralize mines
- Carry out scout missions to spot enemy troops and gun locations
- Operate two-way radios and signal equipment to relay battle orders
Those who want to serve must first take the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery, a series of tests that helps you better understand your strengths and identify which Army jobs are best for you.
Job training for an indirect fire infantryman requires 14 weeks, three days of One Station Unit Training, which includes Basic Combat Training and Advanced Individual Training. Part of this time is spent in a classroom and part in the field under simulated combat. Your skills are kept sharp with frequent squad maneuvers, target practice and war games.
- Interest in ammunition and weaponry
- Readiness to accept a challenge and face danger
- Physically and mentally in shape
- Ability to work as a team member
Total compensation includes housing, medical, food, special pay, and vacation time. Learn more about total compensation.
In the Army, qualified students can earn full-tuition, merit-based scholarships, allowances for books and fees, plus an annual stipend for living expenses. Learn more about education benefits.
Future Civilian Careers
The skills you learn will help prepare you for a career in federal, state and local law enforcement.
PARTNERSHIP FOR YOUTH SUCCESS (PaYS) Program
Those interested in this job may be eligible for civilian employment, after the Army, by enrolling in the Army PaYS program. The PaYS program is a recruitment option that guarantees a job interview with military friendly employers that are looking for experience and trained Veterans to join their organization. Find out more about the Army PaYS Program at http://www.armypays.com.
- AT&T, Inc.
- Hewlett-Packard Company
- Kraft Foods Global, Inc.
- Sears Holdings Corporation
- Time Customer Service, Inc.
- Walgreen Co.