Fire Support Specialist (13F)
- Active Duty
- Army Reserve
- Open to Women
- Entry Level
The fire support specialist is primarily responsible for the intelligence activities of the Army’s field artillery team.
- Set up and operate communications systems
- Encode and decode messages
- Assist in the preparation of fire support plans, coordinates and targets
- Operate laser range finders and target devices
- Determine target location using computers or manual calculations
Those who want to serve must first take the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery, a series of tests that helps you better understand your strengths and identify which Army jobs are best for you.
Job training for a fire support specialist requires 10 weeks of Basic Combat Training and six weeks of Advanced Individual Training with on-the-job instructions. Part of this time is spent in the classroom and part in the field under simulated combat conditions.
Some of the skills you’ll learn are:
- Computing target locations
- Ammunition techniques
- Operating gun, missile and rocket systems
- Artillery tactics, techniques and procedures
- Interest in cannon and rocket operations
- Physically and mentally fit to perform under pressure
- Ability to multi-task
- Capable of working as a team member
Required ASVAB Score(s)Field Artillery (FA) : 96
Learn more about the ASVAB and see what jobs you could qualify for.
Total compensation includes housing, medical, food, special pay, and vacation time. Learn more about total compensation.
In the Army, qualified students can earn full-tuition, merit-based scholarships, allowances for books and fees, plus an annual stipend for living expenses. Learn more about education benefits.
Future Civilian Careers
The skills you learn will help prepare you for a career in computer consulting, technology support, data processing and other similarly related fields.
PARTNERSHIP FOR YOUTH SUCCESS (PaYS) Program
Those interested in this job may be eligible for civilian employment, after the Army, by enrolling in the Army PaYS program. The PaYS program is a recruitment option that guarantees a job interview with military friendly employers that are looking for experienced and trained Veterans to join their organization. Find out more about the Army PaYS Program at http://www.armypays.com.
- AT&T, Inc.
- Hewlett-Packard Company
- Kraft Foods Global, Inc.
- Sears Holdings Corporation
- Time Customer Service, Inc.
- Walgreen Co.