Cannon Crewmember (13B)
- Active Duty
- Army Reserve
- Open to Women
- Entry Level
Cannon crewmembers work the howitzer cannons that support infantry and tank units during combat, and play crucial roles in the Army’s success on the battlefield.
- Wire and radio communications
- Identify target locations
- Operate self-propelled howitzers, ammunition trucks and other vehicles
- Participate in reconnaissance operations
Those who want to serve must first take the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery, a series of tests that helps you better understand your strengths and identify which Army jobs are best for you.
Job training for a canon crewmember requires 10 weeks of Basic Combat Training and seven weeks of Advanced Individual Training. Part of this time is spent in the classroom and part in the field under simulated combat conditions.
Some of the skills you’ll learn are:
- Calculating targets manually and electronically
- Handling ammunition
- Operating gun systems
- Artillery tactics and battle strategy
- Interest in cannon operations
- Physically and mentally fit to perform under pressure
- Ability to make quick decisions
- Capable of working as a team member
Required ASVAB Score(s)Field Artillery (FA) : 93
Learn more about the ASVAB and see what jobs you could qualify for.
Total compensation includes housing, medical, food, special pay, and vacation time. Learn more about total compensation.
In the Army, qualified students can earn full-tuition, merit-based scholarships, allowances for books and fees, plus an annual stipend for living expenses. Learn more about education benefits.
Future Civilian Careers
While there is no job equivalent in civilian life, the skills you learn such as teamwork, discipline and leadership, will help you in any career you choose.
PARTNERSHIP FOR YOUTH SUCCESSS (PaYS) Program
Those interested in this job may be eligible for civilian employment, after the Army, by enrolling in the Army PaYS program. The PaYS program is a recruitment option that guarantees a job interview with military friendly employers that are looking for experience and trained Veterans to join their organization. Find out more about the Army PaYS Program at http://www.armypays.com.
- AT&T, Inc.
- Hewlett-Packard Company
- Kraft Foods Global, Inc.
- Sears Holdings Corporation
- Time Customer Service, Inc.
- Walgreen Co.