Avenger Crewmember (14S)
- Active Duty
- Army Reserve
- Open to Women
- Entry Level
An Avenger crewmember is responsible for operating the avenger system, a lightweight, highly mobile weapon system that provides air defense protection against air and land attacks.
- Operate the AVENGER and Man Portable Air Defense System weapons systems
- Establish radio/wire communications and maintain situation maps
- Perform target engagement evaluations
- Operate “friend or foe” identification equipment
- Resupply ammunition and prepare systems for firing
Those who want to serve must first take the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery, a series of tests that helps you better understand your strengths and identify which Army jobs are best for you.
Job training for an Avenger crewmember requires 10 weeks of Basic Combat Training and 10 weeks of Advanced Individual Training with on-the-job instruction. Part of this time is spent in the classroom and in the field under simulated combat conditions.
Some of the skills you’ll learn are:
- Methods of computing target locations
- Ammunition-handling techniques
- Missile and rocket system operations
- Artillery tactics
- Interest in mathematics
- Physically and mentally fit to perform under pressure
- Ability to multi-task
- Interest in missile and rocket operations
- Capable of working as a team member
Required ASVAB Score(s)Operators & Food (OF) : 85
Learn more about the ASVAB and see what jobs you could qualify for.
Total compensation includes housing, medical, food, special pay, and vacation time. Learn more about total compensation.
In the Army, qualified students can earn full-tuition, merit-based scholarships, allowances for books and fees, plus an annual stipend for living expenses. Learn more about education benefits.
Future Civilian Careers
While there is no direct job equivalent in civilian life, the skills you learn such as teamwork, discipline and leadership will help you in any civilian career you choose.
PARTNERSHIP FOR YOUTH SUCCESS (PaYS) Program
Those interested in this job may be eligible for civilian employment, after the Army, by enrolling in the Army PaYS program. The PaYS program is a recruitment option that guarantees a job interview with military friendly employers that are looking for experienced and trained Veterans to join their organization. Find out more about the Army PaYS Program at http://www.armypays.com.
- AT&T, Inc.
- Hewlett-Packard Company
- Kraft Foods Global, Inc.
- Sears Holdings Corporation
- Time Customer Service, Inc.
- Walgreen Co.