Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner (66R)
- Active Duty
- Army Reserve
- Open to Women
- Entry Level
The psychiatric nurse practitioner works in the following clinical areas: inpatient psychiatric units, alcohol/drug rehabilitation programs, day treatment programs, mental health clinics and combat stress units.
- Patient counseling
- Crisis intervention
- Milieu and group therapy
- Critical incident debriefings
- Master’s degree as a psychiatric nurse practitioner from a program accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) or the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) or accepted by the U.S. Secretary of Education
- Board certification as a psychiatric nurse practitioner with prescriptive privileges
- Between 21 and 42 years of age (may request a waiver)
- Current, valid and unrestricted nursing license
- U.S. citizenship
Job training for a psychiatric nurse practitioner includes completing an Basic Officer Leaders Course, which introduces you to the Army health care system, Army doctrine and basic Soldier/leader skills.
- Ability to make accurate, immediate decisions
- Perform under stress
- Apply critical technical and thinking skills
- Tremendous concentration
- Receive Army Nurse Accession Bonus of $30,000
- Nurse Loan Repayment Program of up to $120,000 over three years; may be applied toward qualified nursing school loans
- May receive pay for continuing education, including clinical specialization courses
- Low-cost life and dental insurance
- Noncontributory retirement benefits with 20 years of qualifying service
- 30 days of paid vacation earned annually
The U.S. Army provides generous education loan-repayment programs, residency programs and continuing education opportunities to support your continued career growth and development.
PARTNERSHIP FOR YOUTH SUCCESS (PaYS) Program
Those interested in this job may be eligible for civilian employment, after the Army, by enrolling in the Army PaYS program. The PaYS program is a recruitment option that guarantees a job interview with military friendly employers that are looking for experienced and trained Veterans to join their organization. Find out more about the Army PaYS Program at http://www.armypays.com.
- Johns Hopkins
- GE Healthcare
- Cleveland Clinic
- Mercy Medical Center