Perioperative Nurse (66E)
- Active Duty
- Army Reserve
- Open to Women
- Entry Level
Perioperative nurses care for surgical patients who are having operative procedures. They are responsible for planning and organizing all perioperative-nursing services. As part of the Army Nurse Corps, they play an important role in improving the overall quality of life for Soldiers and their families.
- Supervise the perioperative experience for the patient in accordance with the surgical team
- Assess the nursing care throughout the entire surgical process
- Participate in the preparation, sterilization, monitoring, maintenance and storage of surgical supplies/equipment
- Teach perioperative management and strategy to medical students
- Bachelor’s degree in nursing from a program accredited by the National League for Nursing or the Commission, Collegiate Nursing Education or the U.S. Secretary of Education
- Completion of a qualified course in public health nursing or one year of supervised experience
- Must be between 21 and 42 years of age (may request a waiver)
- Current, valid and unrestricted nursing license
- Must be a U.S. citizen
- In addition to the above qualifications, permanent U.S. residency is required for Reserve duty officers.
Job training for a Nurse Corps officer includes completing an Officer Basic Leadership Course, which introduces you to the Army Health Care system, Army doctrine and basic Soldier/leader skills.
- Ability to make accurate, immediate decisions
- Perform under stress
- Apply critical technical and thinking skills
- Tremendous concentration
- Receive Army Nurse Accession Bonus
- Nurse Loan Repayment Program
- Low-cost life and dental insurance,
- Noncontributory retirement benefits with 20 years of qualifying service
- 30 days of paid vacation earned annually
- Qualified nurses can receive Special Pay
- Health Care Professionals Loan Repayment Program
- Noncontributory retirement benefits at age 60 with 20 years of qualifying service
- Low-cost life and dental insurance
The U.S. Army provides generous education loan-repayment programs, residency programs and continuing education opportunities to support your continued career growth and development.