Physician Assistant (65D)
- Active Duty
- Army Reserve
- Open to Women
- Entry Level
Physician assistants provide a variety services to troops that are traditionally performed by a physician. As an officer in the Medical Specialist Corps, they play an important role in improving the overall quality of life for Soldiers and their families.
- Primary source of medical advice in the absence of a physician
- Supervises combat medics and performs as a medical section/platoon leader
- Advises on medically-related matters pertinent to unit readiness for missions
- Functions as medical staff officer at various levels
- Serves as commander of companies, battalions, brigades and medical treatment facilities
- Bachelor’s degree, plus completion of an accredited physician assistant program acceptable to the Army Surgeon General
- Certification by the National Commission for Certified Physician Assistants
- Eligibility for board certification
- Must be between 21 and 42 years of age (may request a waiver)
- Students graduating within six months (with a qualifying degree from a U.S. – accredited school) may apply for active army service
- In addition to the above qualifications, permanent U.S. residency is required for Reserve duty officers.
Job training for the Army Medical Specialist Corps will offer you the unique opportunity to teach, research and learn at various health education programs. You will work in U.S. Army medical centers, hospitals, clinics and field medical units to gain experience in a wide range of practice environments.
- Ability to make accurate, immediate decisions
- Perform under stress
- Apply critical technical and thinking skills
- Tremendous concentration
- Health Professions Loan Repayment, which can be applied toward qualified education loans
- Specialty Pay for board-certified physician assistants
- Paid continuing education
- Pay for continued education and training
- Noncontributory retirement benefits at age 60 with 20 years of qualifying service
- Travel opportunities, including humanitarian missions
The U.S. Army provides generous education loan-repayment programs, residency programs and continuing education opportunities to support your continued career growth and development.