- Active Duty
- Army Reserve
- Open to Women
- Entry Level
Optometrists treat any type of disease, injury and disorder of the eyes and its associated structures. As an officer on the U.S. Army health care team, you’ll have access to the latest treatments and drug therapies in order to provide for your patients.
- Supervises medication, rehabilitation, therapy, spectacle lenses, contact lenses and certain surgical procedures
- Counsels patients regarding surgical and nonsurgical options
- Provides initial diagnosis and management of eye injuries on the battlefield
- Doctor of Optometry degree from an accredited program acceptable to the Surgeon General
- Current license to practice optometry in the U.S.
- Must be between 21 and 42 years of age (may request a waiver)
- Must be a U.S. citizen
- In addition to the above qualifications, permanent U.S. residency is required for Reserve duty officers.
Job training for medical service corps officers includes completing an Officer Basic Leadership Course, which introduces you to the Army Health Care system, Army doctrine and basic Soldier/leader skills.
- Ability to make accurate, immediate decisions
- Perform under stress
- Apply critical technical and thinking skills
- Tremendous concentration
In addition to the many privileges that come from being on the U.S. Army health care team, you’ll also be rewarded with:
- May receive pay for continuing education
- Noncontributory retirement benefits with 20 years of qualifying service
- Flexible, portable retirement savings and investment plan similar to a 401(k)
- Health Professionals Special Pay
- Health Care Professionals Loan Repayment, which can be applied to qualifying optometry school loans
- May receive pay for continuing education and training
In the Army, qualified students can earn full-tuition, merit-based scholarships, allowances for books and fees, plus an annual stipend for living expenses. Learn more about education.
PARTNERSHIP FOR YOUTH SUCCESS (PaYS) Program
Those interested in this job may be eligible for civilian employment, after the Army, by enrolling in the Army PaYS program. The PaYS program is a recruitment option that guarantees a job interview with military friendly employers that are looking for experience and trained Veterans to join their organization. Find out more about the Army PaYS Program at http://www.armypays.com.
- AT&T, Inc.
- Hewlett-Packard Company
- Kraft Foods Global, Inc.
- Sears Holdings Corporation
- Time Customer Service, Inc.
- Walgreen Co.